Friday, March 28, 2014

Gobi Masala/Cauliflower Masala stir Fry/Cauliflower piratal


I love cauliflower. When I was a kid, I use to ask Amma not to cook cauliflower on weekdays, as I will not be able to slowly relish the taste. In weekends there were usually brunches as Appa would sweat out with his own chores.
I will be restless, when the smell of boiling cauliflower hits my senses. Before the boiled one gets into the masala marinade a few florets will end up in my tummy! Amma deep fries it to go with vegetable biryani. Those golden fries crunchy, crispy, with ginger and garlic flavor! Yumm! I used to dream that when I grow up I will eat cauliflower all day and everyday to my heart’s content! Now things have changed, I do not indulge myself in deep fried goodness frequently. But I do use cauliflower in other gravies and stir fries. This is one such dish.
Ingredients:
Cauliflower-florets from 1 medium sized cauliflower
Onions-2 large sliced
Tomatoes-2 large sliced
G&G paste -2tsp
Red chili powder-1 tsp
Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
Coriander powder-1& ½ tsp
Coriander leaves-to garnish
Salt-as needed
To Grind:
Coconut- ½ cup grated
Cinnamon-1 inch piece
Elaichi/cardamom-2
Cloves-3
Star anise- ½ of the star
Grind without water .Just give it a couple of whips. It will be a coarse sticky mixture as the coconut gives moisture.
To temper:
Oil-2 tbsp
Fennel seeds-1 tsp

How it Happened:
1. Remove the florets from cauliflower and cut them to bite size pieces. Drop them in boiling water with salt and cook for 7-10 minutes. Drain them completely. The florets should be par boiled and should remain crunchy.
2. Heat oil in a kadai add the fennel seeds, when they pop add onions and fry until transparent.
3. Add ginger garlic paste and cook until raw smell goes off.
4. Now add tomatoes, simmer and cook covered until the tomatoes turns mushy and leaves out oil.
5. Add all the spice powders and salt. Mix well and cook for another minute.
6. Add coconut mixture and sauté’ for 1 more minute.
7. Add boiled cauliflower florets, mix well and see to that the masala coats all the florets.
8. Sprinkle a tbsp of water on the curry and cook covered in simmer for 5 minutes.
9. Remove the lid, increase the flame and stir the curry for a minute.
10. Switch off the flame, Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with rotis.

Notes:
*Take care not to overcook the cauliflower, otherwise they will become soft and makes the curry soggy.
*Keep stirring now and then so as not to burn the masala.

*Water can be added to make it a gravy.

No comments :

Post a Comment