Thursday, March 13, 2014

Cantonese Egg Fried Rice


I am a big fan of Kylie Kwong. I can sit all day just watching her shows, though most of what she cooks includes meat, I just love to watch how she chops and cooks like a breeze. I should admit that she was my inspiration to cook Chinese (all my life thinking all Chinese food are cooked in lard..How silly am I?) vegetarian.
In one of her shows she made this classic Cantonese peasant style egg fried rice which tempted me to try it. She clearly stated that a classic fried contains nothing but eggs and left over rice. M too was watching the show and he added that in China most of the places where he had fried rice used short grain rice. I tweaked the recipe a bit or well I should say I didn’t have Chinese cooking wine and rice vinegar which I didn’t use. I was really surprised by the outcome. The taste was amazing and was totally different from what we were having all these days adding in all the other veggies (mushrooms, corn kernels, bean sprouts..yeah.. I had literally added all that was clinging in my vegetable basket).Oh.. And this is my first EGG post! :-)
Ingredients:
Short Grain rice/Ponni Rice-1 cup
Eggs-2
Garlic -5-8 pods, minced
Onion-1 large, julienned
Light Soy sauce-1tbsp
Ajinomoto/MSG-1/2 tsp (optional)
White pepper Powder-1 tsp
Salt – as needed
Oil-5 tbsp
Spring onion- 2 stalks, finely chopped

How it Happened:
1. Cook the rice and spread them in a plate and cool them down.
2. Break open the eggs, add salt and just mix the yolk so they form nice yellow ribbons.
3.Heat a wok, add 3 tbsp of oil, then add the eggs, wait until the edges of the eggs turn crisp and golden brown, now turn and fry them for a minutes. Drain the eggs from oil and set aside.
4. Add the remaining oil, when it is hot add garlic and onions, fry until golden brown.
5. Now add salt and soy sauce and mix well.
6. Add the cooked rice and eggs mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Add the chopped spring onions and MSG (optional) mix once and switch off the flame.

Notes:
*Basmati rice can also be used.
*Rice should be cooled, or else it will become sticky and gloopy.
*Do not over-whisk the eggs.
*You can also add scrambled eggs but frying gives more flavor, crunchiness and taste.
*You can reduce the amount of oil, but this amount oil, makes the rice glossy and non sticky.

*If u have Chinese cooking wine and rice vinegar, add a tsp of each along with soy sauce.

No comments :

Post a Comment