Saturday, March 22, 2014

Masala Chaas – Summer special-Gujarati Spiced Buttermilk


The summer has already begun and I make some sort of cold beverages everyday that subdues the heat. But I make it a point that it is fresh and natural. The easiest is the buttermilk which is always at hand. I have 2 versions of spiced buttermilk, one is south Indian and the other is north Indian. Today I made this north Indian version Masala Chaas. It was creamy, cooling and refreshing.
Ingredients:
Buttermilk-3 cups chilled
Roasted cumin powder-1tsp
Black salt-1/2 tsp
Iodized salt-as needed
Coriander leaves-5-8 stalks
Green chili- ½ deseeded
Chat masala- as needed

How it Happened:
1. Add all the ingredients in blender jar and whip until all ingredients come together.
2. Pour into the serving glass, sprinkle a pinch of chat masala over the top, garnish with coriander and serve chilled.

Notes:
*Dry roast cumin seeds and powder them.
*1 cup of curd with ½ cup of water gives buttermilk.
*I like my chaas to be thin and watery, so I have made it with buttermilk. For thick chaas, add just curd and avoid using water.

*Add ice cubes for instant chillness while whipping.

No comments :

Post a Comment