Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Aviyal/Avial




I Wish a Very Happy and Prosperous New Year 2015 to All ! 2014 has been a good year for me yeah! There has been a few downs as well. But hey! I started a blog which I have been dreaming off for a long time, I have lost a few pounds which was in my resolution list for almost past 3 years and I have initiated it this year which means I have taken some effort, I have taken the first step and I have done something right of course with the constant support from my family without which nothing would have been possible. So it was a wonderful year and I wish 2015 has better things in store for me.
 This will be the last post of this year and I m happy that I could reach a century of posts in the first year of blogging (now you know why I posted 3 times today!). Not bad huh! Seriously, as I m writing this post I m feeling proud about it and even a little amused how blogging has helped me in reviving myself, killing boredom, writing which I almost forgot, reading which was in the verge of extinction and constantly learning some technicalities (that are ancient to techies but new to me! but wait! I’m a Science major. What do you expect from me?), at least to make my blog readable which M has been wanting me to do since we got married (yea! I m that lazy) and most of all brought out the hidden interest in photography. I have learnt many things through blogging and through other bloggers and I m continuously learning aiming at constant improvement and overall betterment. Now I think thatz enough lectures for the year end and let’s get on with the recipe.
Aviyal is a traditional side dish prepared on all festive and special days in Tirunelveli. The aviyal prepared during Pongal with all possible vegetables and tubers tastes awesome and the day after the leftover will be mixed with sambar and will be reheated and reduced known as ‘pazhang curry’ meaning old curry which tastes heavenly. I am a big big fan of this pazhang curry.. So whenever I make aviyal , even if I make it for adai I make a little sambar to make pazhang curry. M likes aviyal as they are tasty and also filled with veggies and hence healthy. This is my version and I do have Amma’s authentic version which I will be sharing soon.

Ingredients:
Vegetables-3 cups, julienned
Unsour Curd-3 tbsp
Salt-as needed
To Grind:
Coconut-1/2 cup, shredded
Green chilies-3, broken
Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
Garlic-2 cloves, peeled
Add a little water and grind to a smooth paste.
To Temper:
Coconut Oil-1 tbsp
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Urad dal-1 tsp
Curry leaves-1 sprig
How It Happened:
1. Add the vegetables to the pressure cooker with ¼ cup water and salt. Cover and cook for 1 whistle in medium flame.
2. Once when the pressure is released, add the ground coconut paste and mix well.
3. Now heat this mixture for 5-7 minutes in medium flame until the raw smell of the coconut mixture goes off. Stir now and then as they tend to get stuck at the bottom.

4. Switch off the flame and let it cool for 15 minutes.
5. Add the curd and mix well slowly without mashing the veggies.
6. Now heat oil in a small tadka pan, add urad dal, mustard seeds and curry leaves. When the urad dal turns golden add it to the aviyal.
7. Mix once and serve with rice.
Notes:
* I used carrots; french beans, broad beans (avarakkai) and potato. You can use vegetables like brinjals, drumstick, vazhakkai (raw plantain) and tubers like elephant foot yam (senai kizhangu), colocasia (seppan kizhangu), and Chinese potato (siru kizhangu). Amma uses all these veggies to make aviyal on Pongal day which I will be sharing soon.
* Cut the vegetables thick as we are going to pressure cook them and they will have to maintain their shape and crunch.
* The consistency should be like slurry. It should not be watery. So evaporate any excess water while heating after adding the coconut paste.
* The aviyal is supposed to be mild curry.  Adjust the chilies as per your taste.
* The curd should be thick and fresh. If it is sour it will spoil the taste.
* The mixture should not be very hot while adding the yoghurt as they may curdle. So let it rest then add the curd when the mixture is warm. Do not heat after adding curd.
* So if you are preparing it early, follow all other processes but add curd and do the tadka/tempering 10 minutes before serving.

* Coconut oil adds a nice and unique flavor.

No comments :

Post a Comment