Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Idly Upma-Leftover recipes


Idly upma is a delicious make over given to the not-so-preferable idlies in our household. M & I vote only for dosas and so I usually grind more of dosa batter and less idly batter just to last for 2 batches. Those idlies are always paired with sambar or garlic chutney.
This week only after soaking the rice in water I saw that there was no raw rice for dosa batter. I had to go for a 45 minutes drive from Mohali to Chandigarh to get the raw rice in a south Indian store on a Sunday! With Ind-SA match on live, M was glued to the couch and I know i m never gonna make it to the shop so ended up grinding a whole big batch of idly batter and after eating idlies in all forms in the week the last batch of batter got steamed and stocked up in the refrigerator to make all fried idly types. The last of the last ended up in this upma which happens to be my favorite. I don’t know for some reason I don’t make them often. I have given the basic version that Amma makes except she adds mor milagai while tempering which adds a lot of flavor but I didn’t have any. My MIL use to crumble the idlies and mix them with Idly podi and gingelly oil and then she does the tempering which tastes equally good.
Ingredients:
Idlies-4
Salt-as needed
To Temper:
Shallots-1/2 cup, chopped
Green chillies-2, finely chopped
Curry leaves-1 sprig
Mustard seeds-1 tsp
Urad dal-1 tsp
Channa dal-1 tsp
Oil-1 tbsp

How It Happened:
1. Refrigerate the idlies atleast for 3 hours. Crumble them finely and mix a tsp of gingelly oil with it and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add the ingredients given under the ‘to temper’ list and fry until the shallots turn slightly golden.

3. Add salt as needed and dump in the crumbled idlies and mix well and let it cook for 3 minutes.
4. Transfer to a plate and serve hot.
Notes:
* Incase if you find it hard to crumble to the idlies soak them in warm water for a minute then crumble them.
* Onions can be used instead of shallots. Red chillies can be replaced for green chillies. If you have mor milagai add them and when you eat just crumble them and mix it, tastes heavenly!

* They generally need no side dish but I like to have them with masal vadai. I don’t know, its just me!!! 


No comments :

Post a Comment