Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Noodle-Bread Rolls/Noodle Magic Rolls


Noodles are my absolute favorite. I can have them for any meal/all meal of the day. Well this recipe, of course shows how far one can go for the noodles. But this idea truly came from a snack I had an year ago from a food outlet while I was shopping for groceries. I should say the moment I saw ‘maggi’ on the menu I immediately ordered it before I could completely read the name of the dish.

 Only after placing the order did I completely read the name. But then the name was Maggi Magic Rolls.. So I had no idea about what it was going to be until it was served. Boy! Its maggi! Anyway its gonna taste good! There may be some new/weird additions to it. I was ready to face it just like Adam Richman in Man Vs Food!!! Then came this long log of bajji (as we say in Tamilnadu). I was like man! I placed order for Maggi! I called up the waiter and told that I ordered for maggi whilst he continued thatz what it is! With much anxiety I cut open the log to prove he was wrong when I found the soft springs of maggi falling out! Wow! I liked the idea. It was cooked maggi covered with a slice of bread, coated with regular pakora/bajji batter DEEP FRIED, served hot with onions & green chutney and topped of with sprinkles of chaat masala! I kinda liked the idea though it had double loads of calories and boatloads of sinfully tasty stuff. Today I was in mood for some deep fried stuff so here it is. Do try it.

Ingredients:
Bread-4 slices (Sandwich/big slices)
Maggi-1 packet, cooked as per packet instructions
     Or
Leftover cooked noodles (any sort)
Chaat Masala- to garnish (optional)
For Bajji/Outer layer Batter:
Chickpea flour/besan-3/4 cup
Rice flour-1/4 cup
Ajjwain-1/2 tsp
Red chili powder-3/4 tsp
Cooking soda/Soda bi carb-1/4 tsp
Asafoetida-1 big pinch
Salt-as needed
Water-as needed (3/4-1 cup)
How it Happened:
1. In a mixing bowl add all ingredients given under ‘for bajji batter’ list except water and mix well. Then add ½ cup water and using a balloon whisk mix well. Gradually add water little by little and mix until they are like that of a pancake/dosa batter. Mix well without any lumps and set aside.
2. Cook the maggi as per pack instructions by adding the masala and cook till they are dry. See to that they don’t have much moisture left. Set aside and let it cool.
3. Cut off the crust of the bread slices and roll each slice with a rolling pin so they are flat.

4. In a slice of bread, spoon a tbsp of cooked maggi along the side and start rolling it away from you into a log. Wet you fingers with little water and grease the edges of the slice and stick it to the ends.
5. Heat oil in a pan, when the bubbles start rising from the bottom of the pan, reduce the flame to medium meanwhile dip in the rolled bread into the batter until they are well coated and when the oil is hot drop them in. Let it cook in medium flame for 2 minutes.
6. Turn it to cook on the other side and cook until the oil stops bubbling/its well cooked.
7. Remove it from oil transfer to a kitchen tissue to drain excess oil.
8.  Cut into two pieces, sprinkle some chaat masala powder on top and serve hot with ketchup/green chutney.
Notes:
* You can use leftover cooked hakka noodles or any other noodles of your taste. I use veg atta noodles.
* I used extra large slices. You can use regular one too. I used white bread. The brown bread crumbles and doesn’t stretch well when rolled and breaks open.
* The batter should not be too thick else it will take long time to cook by then the outer layer would turn dark and look like burnt. The batter shouldn’t be too thin as well as then the break will soak up all the oil and will become soggy.

* The oil shouldn’t be too hot, else they will be burnt outside and would be raw and battery inside.

No comments :

Post a Comment