Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Roasted phool Makhana/Roasted Foxnuts/Lotus Seeds


Phool Makhana or lotus seeds are very common ingredients used in North Indian cooking. But I was not aware of it until I was here in Chandigarh. So when I saw these round white balls here in stores I thought they were a desi kind of popcorns.
I was thinking about its after taste. But as soon as I saw them popping in many blogs in various avatars I thought of giving it a try and when I browsed most were like curries and kheers and few other blogs showcased the popcorn like roasts which I was hooked onto. So I came up with my own adaptation and I assure to those  who haven't tasted it yet, they don't have any after taste and almost has the texture of popcorns. This sure is a healthy snack for tea time!

Ingredients:
Phool Makhana/Lotus seeds-1 cup
Red chili powder- ¼ tsp
Pepper powder- ¼ tsp
Turmeric powder- 1 big pinch
Black/Kala Namak-1 pinch
Cumin powder- ¼ tsp
Garam Masala powder- ¼ tsp
Chat Masala Powder- ¼ tsp
Asafoetida/Hing-1 pinch
Salt-as needed
Oil/Butter-1 tsp

How It Happened:
1. Heat butter in a pan, add salt to it and then throw in the phool makhana/lotus seeds.
2. Keep sautéing to roast the pieces evenly and regulate the flame to medium. Roast until the lotus seeds turn crunchy.

3. Once when they are crunchy simmer the flame and add in the spices powders and mix well.
4. Cook for a minute or two to coat the spices on the lotus seeds.
5. Switch off the flame and serve warm. You can store in a dry air tight container at room temperature for 5 days.
Notes:
* Use a wide pan, big enough to spread the lotus seeds giving space to cook each piece evenly or you can roast them in batches.
* The lotus seeds before cooking will be chewy. After roasting for 7-1o minutes they will become crunchy and crispy. This can/has to be tested by popping in a couple of those seeds in and when you bite if they are crunchy without sticking to you molar they are cooked perfect.
* Spice powders should be added after the seeds have become crunchy and also cook in simmer after adding the spices powders, keep mixing continuously and do not cook for long else the spice powders will get  burnt.
* I added the salt in the oil just so they can coat the seeds well. I have tried adding them with spice powders but then they didn't stick well to the seeds. So tried this way and it worked just well.
* Add or skip any spice powders of your choice. I forget pepper powder while clicking the plate but added them later so have mentioned that.

No comments :

Post a Comment