Friday, September 18, 2015

Dried Green Peas Kheer/ Pattani Payasam


Time and again I look back  at my journey in the cooking world and I wonder how I came through that path and I at times feel I did not do justice to my lineage as most of my cooking follow measurements and time to the T whereas my family’s philosophy is different. The noble ladies of my family could turn anything into delicious meals wherein I always yearn over that one missing ingredient and most times I blame that the missing ingredient was the taste maker. But back then crisis management started from the kitchen and our family ladies were especially good in handling those in- no-time demands from kids as well as grown up kids. My mom had such an expertise that she would adjust any curries which would have gone a little overboard in any of the flavours into delicious want-some-more kinda dishes. Even today most of the calls she receive are to inquire about techniques to handle kitchen disasters in lots of kitchens around the globe i would PROUDLY say!
At times this pisses me off too as to how I suck in such talents. But not to worry!! Here I am residing in mom’ s  place for some time primarily an apprenticeship to acquire the skills of disaster management and meanwhile did i tell you that I took a full time job a few months ago and I just LOVE it? There few of my colleagues knew I run a blog and they think I cook well and you know this feeling of over-enthu that strikes you when someone pats you for your oh-not-so-good work! You determine to cook one -of -a-kind dish for a special day and if the prep work results in a disaster with no time in hand what would you do? There comes crisis management where you turn a sundal recipe into a payasam. Yes! Thats the gist. But wow! I should tell rather boast that it was finger-licking good and yes I shared it with my colleagues and the response was yumm too! So here it is guys!  Do try it and let me know!!!


Ingredients:
Dried Green peas-1 cup
Jaggery-1 cup, grated
Coconut milk /Boiled cow’s milk-1/2 cup
Vanilla extract- few drops
Ghee- 2 tbsp
Cashews-1 tbsp broken
Raisins-1 tbsp
Water- as needed
Salt- a pinch
How It Happened:
1. Wash and soak the green peas for 8 hours or overnight.
2. Rinse and drain the water and add fresh water and a pinch of salt to the peas such that they are just immersed in a pressure cooker.
3. Cover and cook for 3-5 whistles in medium flame and simmer for 5 minutes, then switch off the flame ad let it rest until it cools down.
4. Open the lid and now the peas would be cooked well. Mash it with back of the ladle or add it to the mixer and give it a blitz or two. Transfer it to a pan and set aside.
5. Now in another sauce pan add the grated jaggery and sprinkle a little water and heat it in medium flame.

6. When the jaggery is completely dissolved, switch off the flame and using a filter, add it to the ground /mashed peas paste and mix well.
7. Place it on the stove top and heat it until it starts bubbling. Then simmer the flame and add the milk and mix well and let it bubble for 5- 7minutes and thicken slightly. Adjust the consistency as per your needs.
8. Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
9. Take it off the heat and place a small tadka pan on the flame and add the ghee and when it gets melted, add the cashews and raisins and when they turn golden add them to the payasam.
10. Mix once and serve hot or refrigerate for 2 hours and serve chilled.
Notes:
* Dried peas should be soaked well for a stipulated time else they won’t cook properly and will give out a raw flavour. Fresh green peas can also be used. In such case they can be pressure cooked directly.
 * Salt is added to enhance the flavours and taste of jaggery. Do not skip it. Just a pinch!
* Add water as mentioned while pressure cooking else they may turn watery and cook well until the peas are soft and mushy.
* I mashed it in mixer so that the peas skin doesn’t get stuck while sipping your kheer. But you can mash them in hand too.
* Jaggery should be filtered for any impurities. Do not add more water else it will turn the payasam watery.
* Instead of vanilla extract orange blossoms water or cardamom powder or even pineapple essence can be added as per your taste.

* Sipping it hot was awesome but chilled one tasted better though!


No comments :

Post a Comment