Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Beetroot Pulao/Beets Pulav


Beets are one of the few underrated veggies. They are rich in nutrients and are a ‘must’ I would say in a healthy diet. On that note would also say that M hates the vegetable! He doesn’t even bother to buy them if he goes for veggie shopping!
Yes thatz likely upsetting but I have learned to live with it I should say. Now i m not gonna lie that this pulav has changed his hatred and all that.... he still hates them and I continue to eat them with my son! But I can stand by that, this pulao tastes really good and is keeper for lunch boxes! With that being said here is my take on the pulav. Do try it!


Ingredients:
Beetroot/Beets-1 & ½ cups, cubed
Rice- 1 cup
Green Peas- ½ cup (see notes)
Onion-2, sliced
Ginger and Garlic paste- 1 tsp, grated/crushed
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Salt- as needed
Coriander leaves- 1tsp, to garnish
Lemon Juice- 1 tsp
To Temper:
Oil- 2 tbsp
Bay leaves-2
Cinnamon- 1 inch piece
Cardamom-1
Cloves-3
Mint leaves-1/4 cup
To Grind:
Coconut-2 tbsp, grated
Shallots-6
Green chillies-1
Dried red chillies-2
Stone Flower/Kalpaasi-1 tsp
Add all the ‘to grind’ ingredients in a mixer jar and add a little water. Grind them to a smooth paste.
How It Happened:
1. Wash and soak rice in water for 30 minutes. Chop the veggies and set aside.
2. Heat a heavy bottomed pan or a cooker and add oil to it. Add ingredients given under the ’to temper’ list.
3. When they sizzle, add crushed ginger and garlic and sauté for a minute in medium flame.
4. Add onions and stir until they turn slightly brown.

5. Add turmeric powder, chopped beets and peas and mix well. Let it cook for a minute or two.
6. Next add the ground coconut mixture and sauté it until the raw smell goes off or2-3 minutes in medium flame.
7. Drain the soaked rice from water and add it to the pan.

8. Mix once and add 3 cups of water, salt and lemon juice. When the mixture starts bubbling, close with the lid and let it cook for 1 whistle in medium flame and then simmer for 5 minutes and switch it off/ cook covered in a pan for 15 minutes.
9. When the pressure sets off, remove the lid, fluff it with fork garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with raita.
Notes:
*I cubed the beetroot into little big ones, as I like a little crunch to be retained in my veggies.
* I used dried peas. So i soaked it overnight/8 hours and used it. You need not steam them separately. They will get cooked along with the rice.
* I used fresh bay leaves from my garden. You can use dried bay leaves too.
* My green chillies were really hot, so i added only one for flavour and i added dried red chillies. You can use either green chillies or red chillies alone and adjust the number as per your palates.
* I used par boiled rice you can use basmati rice/long grain rice too.
* Instead of coconut a couple of cashews can be added while grinding or coconut milk can also be used.

* Lime juice adds a little tang and balances the flavours.

No comments :

Post a Comment